Monday, January 26, 2009

Update on Abe

I was hit or should I say greeted first thing this morning with the following scripture.

2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-4

It wasn't long before I knew why I was given that scripture by God. Within minutes of giving Abe a full keto feeding early this morning he threw it all up. I was scared because I knew since the keto feeds had not been keeping his sugar up like usual that his sugar was going to be really low. I checked it and sure enough it was 40. He is not supposed to drop below 65. I gave him 2 oz of breastmilk. It brought his sugar right back up. Once I knew he was going to keep that down I gave him his meds.

I decided to try another keto feed when it was time for him to eat again. Big mistake. Same thing. Throwing up and sugars down. So I decided I would only do breastmilk until I heard from the doctor. Dr. Holt, Mo and the nutrionist were going to get together to decide what to do.

We have a new formula recipe with more breastmilk instead of RCH to hopefully help with his sugar level. However I wasn't aware that his sugar has to stay low for him to be in ketosis. All this is so new and I am learning for very much. Including he cannot use lotion or chapstick or anything for that matter that has sugar in it.

We have decided that we are going to give him a few days without keto feeds to get him back to himself and give his body a rest. We want to make sure there is nothing questionable going on with him that we are blaming on the diet. We will keep his schedule of eating every 3 hours though.

Mo is also checking into other options just in case this doesn't work. We do want to give the diet a fair chance but not at the risk of Abe's health.

Thank ya'll so very much for your prayers!

It has been a very long day. I am praying that the night will be uneventful.

No comments: