Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Washington DC

>

> Some of you may not be interested in our trip to our Nation's Capital. For those of you that are here it is. I didn't proof it so please overlook any mistakes or wrong facts.
>
> While we are still stuck in traffic on I-95 in Virginia, heading home from Washington DC, I thought I would send a trip report. I wish ya'll could feel what I felt (good & bad) and see what I saw this week. If you are reading this on Saturday please pray for safe travels & peaceful trip for all.
>
> Mike had a conference in DC and asked did we want to go. Worse case was we would have different walls to look at than we do at home so yes we would like to go. Mike wrote to our congressman about us getting tickets for The Capital & The White House. We were very excited about that. We were told to expect it to be extremely hot & humid. The week before we were there it was 105. Well I may leave some of it out but just know this trip was meant to be. God went before us as He always does & makes it perfect.
>
> We got there Saturday, checked in, and went to explore. We stayed in National Harbor which is a fairly new area about 5 miles from where Mike's conference was in DC. However he would quickly see those 5 miles took 45 minutes. So we loved the place where we stayed & the National Harbor area. We had supper at Cadillac Ranch (don't recommend it!). Next we headed straight for the Peeps store. WOW doesn't cover it. Afterwards I said ok we can go home now. Little did I know what lied ahead of us & so glad we didn't leave.
>
> We met up with some Disney friends. Their two girls & Marlee Anne played on The Awakening which is a sculpture of a giant struggling to free himself from the sand. You see a big head, hand, arm, knee & foot all sticking out of the sand. Very neat! That's also at National Harbor.
>
> Sunday was our day to explore Washington, DC before Mike's conference got going. We found the perfect parking place at one end of the mall in front of The Capital. Marlee Anne chose the Air & Space museum first. So much to explore. I loved the Wright brothers exhibit. Next was the Natural History museum which was very interesting. One thing we quickly noticed was the lack of care that was taken care of the museums. I am sure with admission being free it is hard to find funds for it to be taken care of. This is also when I first notice the lack of respect by a large part of the population. Respect for property and for others.
>
> It began to storm so we stayed to let the storm pass. We were all anxious to see the Lincoln memorial but we weren't sure about parking. Right in front was a parking spot with out names on it. As we walked towards the memorial I wasn't expecting to be filled with quite so much emotion. When we exited the elevator & saw the massive statue of honest Abe carved out of that Georgia marble my heart was filled with thanks. I had to stop and think what if God had not given us this great men to lay the foundation for our great nation. That's when the overwhelming part of my trip began.
>
> I will stop here so ya'll can take a break & I won't lose this email since I am typing on my phone.
>

No comments: